Friday, August 17, 2012

Who Would You Spend a Day With?



For as long as I can remember I have loved Lucy.  I Love Lucy that is; and today through Facebook Lucy fans were asked, "If you could spend 24 hours with Lucy, what would you do?  I quickly found myself having great fun thinking of the possibilities. 

Imagine having a tour of Hollywood from one of the legends - we could go to the Brown Derby Restaurant, Grauman's Chinese Theater, and see her star on the Walk of Fame.  Or perhaps I would ask her to introduce me to the rest of the cast - I mean they have all passed away now; but if I am meeting Lucy, why can't see find the other three?  I definitely need to  ask her to tell me about being a pioneer for women both in front of the camera, but also in the business world.    I love the thought of having the opportunity to ask her what it was like to create some of the greatest moments in television history.  Lucy was more of a physical comedian than a quick quips type of woman, which explains why my Grandmom said she was not a very funny interview.    I feel as though the writers for her shows worked to play on her strengths, and created some wonderful acts in the process.  Moments such as, 'Vitameatavegamin", the chocolate factory, stomping grapes, or my personal favorite a mirror routine with Harpo Marx.  I have often wondered if she and the rest of the cast had any idea that they were taping shows that would prove to stand the test of time.  At the end of that day I would like to be able to give Lucy a hug, and say thank you for all the laughs.



While I am on the subject of spending the day with someone who is deceased, I may as well go all out and admit my fascination for James Madison.  Yes, I am just cool enough to want to spend time with our fourth president or the "Father of the Constitution."  For those of you keeping track at home, Madison passed away in 1836 - I only missed my chance by 146 years.  The picture above, taken two years ago at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia may be the closest I ever get to him.  A few side notes about the picture:  first, if you ever get the chance, please go to the National Constitution Center as it is a really well done museum; next, the height difference is to scale - Madison stood at a towering 5'5" to my impressive stature of 5'2", which may be part of his appeal to me; third, I am well aware that the picture does not do much for my pallor, but I blame the lighting.  

I digress.  Back to James Madison, and what I would do if I could spend a day with him.  As with Lucille Ball, I would welcome the opportunity to ask whether Madison and the other Founding Fathers had any idea of the impact that would have on future generations.  The Constitution is a remarkable document.  It was ratified in 1787, and yet in 225 years has only been amended 27 times.  It was also written in such a way that allows for multiple interpretations; so allowing time for him to explain the true original intent of the words must be taken into consideration when planning the day.   Another interesting (yes, interesting!) topic for discussion would be Madison's thoughts on the politics of today, as well as the place that the United States holds in the world.  

On a lighter note, Perhaps he could lay to rest the question of whether his wife, Dolley really did save the painting of George Washington as the White House burned during the War of 1812 or if that is just folklore.  I do not know that a day with President Madison would consist of anything more than talking, since I still cannot eat ice cream.  I connect ice cream and Madison since many people think Dolley Madison was the first person to serve ice cream in the White House (false - it was Jefferson).  Even if it was "just" talking, what an experience for a history dork/former Social Studies teacher like me.

I once had someone ask me to switch brains, since she was suffering from a terrible migraine.  I told her that I did not think she understood what a ridiculous brain she would get in return.  This post is a glimpse at how silly (okay, dorky) I am, but also a look at things that I find interesting beyond the world of sports.  You now know my choices, but I hope that perhaps you will tell me a person (living or deceased) that you would like to spend the day with, and what you would do with that time?
 

2 comments

  1. Thanks for the fun history lesson. Sure beats my experience of learning history in school.

    I still have to look at why I don't "dream" of doing things, meeting people, wanting things. What's that all about? But now that you have made me think, I'd like to spend the day with a great spiritual leader - Jesus, Mother Theresa, Ghandi or St. Francis, to observe first hand how they would walk in our time and relate to those in need - to hear how they loved others and how they took care of themselves. I want to witness the God in them and their humaness as well. Thanks for making me think along these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more comment: Look at Dan LeMonnier's Facebook post about Usain Bolt referring to himself as a legend. It is neat that I read both of your postings about legends in one day. Scroll down his page maybe about 8 initial posts.

    ReplyDelete

© Sheer Ridiculousness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.